P. Luna Foundation’s
Male Abuse Awareness
Male Abuse Awareness Week Dec. 1-8, 2012 Report
This was our best year yet with an aggressive online advertising campaign, a red carpet concert event held in Los Angeles California on December 1st, and a record year for donations!
Interviews; 94.1 FM KPFA Berkeley CA , 90.7 FM KPFK N. Hollywood CA, 99.3 KCLA The Ultimate Underground Show, 106.7 KROQ-FM CBS Sunday Morning Show, TVNZ OneNews New Zealand’s Saturday Morning Breakfast Show, LAtalkradio.com’s Guy Talk Radio, Current Events with Patrick Cook, The Oracle Speaks and the Community Matters shows on Blogtalkradio.com and the Good Men Project Magazine.
Online Stats; Our Press Release had 26,366 hits and our help4guys.org web site received 214,648 hits from September through December (the campaign’s peak months.)
OUR 2012 SPONSORS
Runway Magazine, Goodwill of Southern California, Children are our Future , Pizazz by O Planning, Get Legal Magazine, Miss CA Ethnic World Pageant, Good Men Project Magazine, Pro Security Inc., KDAY 93.5 FM Hip Hop Radio, Panera Bread, Good Earth Spa
Miss California Ethnic World 2012, Lizett Magallane with
Exec. Dir. B. Ochoa at the 12/1/12 event
On December 1st in Van Nuys California we held a MAAW Big Benefit Concert/Red Carpet Event. Headliners were award winning reggae group Dread Daze with a cameo appearance by Alex Marley and the Sunset Strip’s favorite rock band LA Velvet along with other great local acts; Vim Furor, Jill Avilez, The Raiz Brazil Samba Dancers and Denise Cook “The Oracle Speaks.” Our Keynote Speaker was Advocate Bill Murray and there was even a special appearance by the Runway Magazine Models taking photos with attendees and donors, Gourmet Food Trucks and a Hip Hop Street Team Appearance by 93.5 FM KDAY L.A. on the outside lot before the show.
Rock Group LA Velvet Headlining the MAAW Concert on 12/1/12 in Van Nuys, California
Other Program Accomplishments:
- We designed double sided business cards and redesigned our brochures.
- We re-worked our entire merchandise store at http://www.zazzle.com/maleabuseawareness and created a small catalogue to sell Maa Man Products at our events.
- A new email address firstname.lastname@example.org was created to aid our press relations for Male Abuse Awareness Week and 4 of our volunteers updated the press contact list for 2012.
PLF Online Volunteer Program
- A new volunteer program recruitment project was launched with a very effective recruitment video in January of 2012.
- To date, 7 new volunteers have gone through orientation and are now part of our volunteer staff.
- We introduced “volunteer groups” this year where we put the volunteers into teams to compete with each other and complete some of the organization’s much needed tasks. It was a great test for the experienced volunteers to start weeding out the ineffective ones and to test new ones who are currently working on their first group assignments.
- Volunteer Staff Policies and Criminal Background Checks; Upon request at the last annual board meeting, criminal background checks were completed on June 3, 2012 on all experienced P. Luna Foundation volunteer staff members. In the process, we collected all their signed Volunteer Policies, and had all their affiliations double checked. Our volunteer policies are in line with our insurance policy requirements and our legal compliance needs.
- Education and mentoring on grant writing and events continued.
- Our first grant sponsorship for Male Abuse Awareness Week 2012 was written to the Bank of America and sent on 5/10/12. Our very first grant was declined.
- We advertised two times on Facebook for various merchandise. Once for the Music Business book in its soft cover format and another time for the ebook format. $80 worth of books were sold in 2012.
- PLF Records released “Petra Luna’s” CD Part 2 on 1/1/12 plus two music videos to sell CDs. At that time a Virtual Record Release Party was launched on Facebook.com. We got two #1 songs on the Indy charts and rave reviews! All rights and sales of Petra Luna music go to the P. Luna Foundation. About $50 worth of music was sold and donated to the PLF.
- We hired a part-time employee to do data entry to help us build our data base between January and March 2012.
- We started a new official email account for donor appreciation; email@example.com with 108 donor’s contacts and sent out our first donor appreciation email.
- After many weeks of work, we improved our Twitter presence by 40% by watching tutorials, making more connections and deleting those who do not follow us back. We also found countless other organizations that we could reach out to for help with our annual Male Abuse Awareness Campaigns every December.
- We have a new volunteer who is a professional web designer currently re-designing our entire plunafoundation.org web site. It should be completed in 2013.
- The new Board of Directors went through the interview process, a training program, and their first Board of Directors Meeting. We now have a complete Board of Directors.
- An older project called the “Eagles Nest” book started in 2008, is being written again. This book is a complete guide for parents and caregivers so that they will be able to detect child sexual abuse among children and detect who the child predators are in their communities. This is a good plan since the PLF is already in “book selling mode”. We know how to handle all the business aspects of publishing a book, since we published the Music Business book last year in 2011. We believe the Eagle’s nest is going to be a great book to pursue widespread distribution.
A Brief Look at our Financials in 2012
Within the industry standard of keeping operating expenses below 18% of our total expenses
'In Kind' donations
9,360 Volunteer Hours Worked, calculated at $12.00/hr. were valued at: